Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, October 20, 2008

Women's Half Marathon

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm happy to announce that the 1/2 marathon I've been training for, for about 4 months has finally come and gone! I believe that the most I had ever run before training for this event was 3 miles. One day Kristen told me she was running it and that I should too...I thought she was crazy but after thinking about it I thought it would be a good challenge. Boy was I right!! It took everything in me to stick to my training schedule. Despite fog, rain, darkness, humidity, early mornings (4:30...yes, that's AM), a bruised foot, a coyote (I passed one once and nearly sh*t my pants), a puppy, Carson, etc. I did it and I surpassed what I had ever thought I could do. I finished 3rd in the downtown run at 1 hour 56 minutes...that's an 8'43" mile. My goal was 2 hours and I thought that would be pushing it and it really was. Once I finished the race I checked my heart rate monitor and I maxed out at 190 (highest I've seen on myself so far is 181) and my average was 174 (usually steady at 160). But in the words of Carson "I did it!" and aside from being slightly tired today (Monday) I feel very good...of course that could be because I treated myself to a Chocolate & Papaya Wrap, an hour massage, and a manicure-pedicure this morning :) All-in-all I am very happy that I signed up for this event and even happier that I followed through with it but really, let's be honest...there is no reason (that I can think of) to be running this many miles...it could verge on insanity! So, I will continue to run but I think 6 miles will be my max from here on out :)

With that said...here is the link to my Nike+ run and a couple photos from the finishline...

(the drop at the end of my run was the damn stop lights...there's nothing more frustrating than being in sprint mode at the end of a big run just to be stopped!)